The Council currently has four Council Committees, the Finance Committee, the CEO Performance Review Committee, the Audit and Risk Committee and the Social Justice Committee. Council formed committees are an important part of Council and may assist Council to undertake specific roles and functions when a full Council is not formed.
The Finance Committee assists the Council to oversee the allocation of the local government's finances and resources. It operates as an executive committee under S55 of LGA. Specifically it undertakes the financial management roles of Council in the months that the Council does not meet. The Finance Committee meets once every second month (in between Council meetings). The Finance Committee:
- Ensures the annual budget is aligned with the Business Plan.
- Monitors and reports on financial performance against the annual budget and the Business Plan.
- Formulates strategies to improve the Council's financial position.
- Makes executive financial decisions on behalf of Council when the matter cannot be held over until the next ordinary Council meeting.
- Monitors compliance with appropriate legislative and accounting standards.
The Finance Committee comprises of the President Adrian Dixon, Crs Norbert Patrick, Jacob Spencer, Robert George and April Martin.
Audit and Risk Committee
The Audit and Risk Committee (the Committee) is established as an advisory committee to the Council under S55 LGA. The Committee is to provide independent assurance and assistance to the Central Desert Regional Council (the Council) and the Chief Executive Officer on:
- The Council’s risk, control and compliance frameworks;
- The Council’s external accountability responsibilities as prescribed in the Local Government Act and Accounting Regulations.
The Audit and Risk Committee comprises the President Adrian Dixon and Councillors Norbert Patrick, Renita Webb and David McCormack and an independent chairperson of the Committee.
CEO Performance Review Committee
The CEO Performance Review Committee meets to review the CEO’s Performance and makes recommendations to the Council regarding performance matters. The Committee meets approximately two times a year but may convene more regularly if required. The CEO Performance Review Committee operates as an advisory committee under S55 LGA. The committee operates as a confidential committee.
The CEO Performance Review Committee comprises of the President Adrian Dixon, Deputy Warren Williams and Councillors Freddy Williams and Norbert Patrick.
Social Justice Committee
The Social Justice Commitee is established a a confidential advisory committee to the Council in accordance with the Local Government Act Part 5.2.
The obective of the Committee is to provide advice and assistance to the Central Desert Regional Council (Council) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) on:
- The level, incidence and casues of criminal activity throughout the CDRC region.
- The status of criminal activity, imprisonment, recidivism and the return of officers back into comunity.
- The level of criminal justice system activity within and from the CDRC region: Police, courts, correctional services and alternatives to imprisonment.
- The development, progress and status of CDRC programs to provide alternatives to imprisonment for members from the CDRC region, for early prison release and for direct placements by the courts.
- The development and operation of work camps, divisionary and social programs for ex-prisoners.
- The operation and efficacy of through-care programs established for the benefit of ex-prisoners.
- The post release care, social benefit status, employemnt, education, health status and communityre-intergration of ex-prisoners.
- The status and efficacy of stakeholder relationships relevant to CDRC Social Justice programs.
The Social Justice Committee comprises of the President Adrian Dixon, Deputy Warren Williams, Councillor Audrey Inkamala and Ron Hagen.