- About Council
- Our Communities
- Our Council
- Our Services
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
From the 1st January 2014, the Council will incrementally form Local Authorities. These Local Authorities will replace the existing Local Boards.
For information on the existing Local Boards please refer to the Local Board pages below.
Under the Local Government Act, the functions of a local authority are:
- to involve local communities more closely in issues related to local government; and
- to ensure that local communities are given an opportunity to express their opinions on questions affecting local government; and
- to allow local communities a voice in the formulation of policies for the locality as well as policies for the area and the region; and
- to take the views of local communities back to the regional council and act as advocates on their behalf; and
- to contribute to the development of the relevant regional plan; and
- to make recommendations to the council in relation to the council's budget, and to review expenditures by the council, in relation to the part of the council's area within which the local authority performs its functions; and
- to perform other functions assigned to the local authority by the Minister, in accordance with any guidelines that the Minister may make.