The community is located 298 km northwest of Alice Springs on the old Mt Allen Pastoral lease. By road it takes approx 3.5 hours to drive there. When flying, it takes 5 minutes to drive to the closest airstrip in the community then 40 minutes to fly to Alice Springs. The road from Alice Springs to the community is both sealed & unsealed. The access road to the community is via the Tanami Highway off the Stuart Highway. The first 145 km from the Stuart Highway is sealed with the next 117 km being dirt. The turnoff to the community is approximately 65 km past Tilmouth Wells. From there it is 31 km on unformed gravel road to the community. From the Tanami Highway the road is in fair condition but is subject to washaways during heavy rainfall, particularly where it crosses the natural depressions and minor waterways.
Council's activities in Yuelamu:
No. Staff: 24 people (79% Indigenous)
Local Authority: David McCormack (Chairperson), David Stafford (Deputy Chairperson), Mack Murphy, Billy Stafford, Cliffy Tommy, Norman Hagen and Christopher Hagen.
Ward Councillors: Cr Adrian Dixon, Cr Benedy Bird, Cr James Glenn, Cr Marlene Tilmouth.
Community Achievements (2015/2016):
- Upgrade of the Mt Allan cemetery including renovation of the cemetery signage, landscaping, grading of the car park to improve drainage, installation of a shade shelter and water tank, upgrades to existing fencing and new landscaping
- Upgrading of both parks including landscaping, installation of recycled play equipment, garbage bin security cages and entry gates to prevent the area being used as a thoroughfare for vehicles
- Upgrade of the football oval to AFL standards including the Installation of new goal posts with padding and surface recapping
- Removal of car bodies from around community
- Significant renovation of the Local Authority meeting room
- Renovation of the basketball court including resurfacing and improvement to drainage to address secondary damage to nearby structures during rain
- CDP completed a foot path over the hill to allow north side residents to access the facilities on south side
- Mobile hot spot installed
- New speed limit signs and speed humps installed
- Participated in the Community Litter Action Plan in conjunction with Keep Australia Beautiful
- Refurbishment of the Aged Care facility improving ease of access and increased functionality
- The Yuelamu School Nutrition team prepared and provided 2,333 breakfasts, 6,999 lunches and 13,998 snacks, totalling 23,330 healthy meals for students attending school throughout the year
- Early Childhood facility operational with an average attendance of 13 children and five volunteer family members per day
- 13,093 hours of CDP programs delivered to participants
Phone (08) 8956 4016
Fax (08) 8956 4088