The community is located approximately 560 kms south west of Katherine, on the northern edge of the Tanami Desert and the eastern side of Hooker Creek. Access is via the sealed Buntine Highway and then via 100kms of unsealed road. Access can also be made from Alice Springs utilising the Tanami Road, which is unsealed and often in poor repair. By road the travel time is 6 hours drive to Katherine.
Council's activities in Lajamanu:
No. Staff: 29 people (79% Indigenous)
Local Authority: Doris Lewis, Tracie Patrick, Jenny Johnson, Sheree Anderson, Elizabeth Ross, Joe Marshall, Andrew Johnson, Mike Doolan, Anthony Johnson.
Ward Councillors: Cr Robert George, Cr Norbert Patrick
COMMUNITY ACHIEVEMENTS (2016/17):
- Upgrade to two small parks- weed removal and installation of new bollards
- Cemetery improvements with construction of new crosses and improved identification
- Two new speedhumps installed around township
- Improved access and utilisation of works sheds at Depot
- 6 houses received minor upgrades and repairs as part of NTG Room to Breathe Program
- General rubbish and legacy waste removed from Men’s Ceremony areas.
Community Achievements (2015/2016):
- Upgrade to the cemetery including expansion of the burial area, new fencing, new seating and a new shade shelter
- Completion of the roll out of rubbish bin holders to all households by CDP participants
- Unauthorised waste removed from Duck Ponds Road
- New land fill pit excavated
- Memorial Park upgrade with shade structure, bollards and trees
- Holy Ground Park upgraded with new shade structure, playground equipment and landscaping
- New change room, toilets, boundary fence and new lighting system installed at the football oval facilitating night games
- Demolition of old change rooms at sports precinct
- Replacement of the roof at the Aged Care facility
- Community Safety Patrol teams praised in the media by Lajamanu’s Acting Sargent in relation to their exemplary work
Phone (08) 8974 5500
Fax (08) 8974 5501
News from the region
Local community vacancies are often available. Please contact the Council office for more information.