The community is located approximately 440 km from Alice Springs by road and it takes 5 to 6 hours to drive there. There are two main routes. For the first route, travel from Alice Springs to Yuendumu via the Tanami Highway. The road is sealed for the first 190 km from the highway and the rest of the way is formed and largely gravelled with some sections not gravelled. From Yuendumu, Nyirripi is approximately 150 kilometres west-southwest. The turn off for the community is approximately 1 kilometre on the left from the Yuendumu turn off. The access road is 150 km of formed track, which is passable except in extreme wet conditions. This distance can generally be covered in about 2 hours. The second route also travels along the Tanami Highway until 23 kilometres past Tilmouth Wells roadhouse. Take the turn left on the Mt Wedge road, continue west on to Nyirripi.
Council's activities in Nyirripi:
No. Staff: 25 people (72% Indigenous)
Local Authority: Ben Gallagher (Chairperson), Lance Turner (Deputy Chairperson), Valerie Morris, Alice Henwood, Duncan Jangala, Christine Curtis, Kathy Satour.
Ward Councillors: Cr Cecelia Alfonso, Cr April Martin, Cr Jacon Spencer, Cr Georgina Wilson.
Community Achievements (2015/2016):
- Early Childhood facility celebrated three months of operation with a daily average attendance of eight children and four volunteer family members
- One Early Childhood staff member graduated from Certificate III in Children’s Services
- Introduction of hospital grade lunch boxes for School Nutrition Program
- The Nyirripi School Nutrition team prepared and provided 1,414 breakfasts, 4,242 lunches and 8,484 snacks, totalling 14,140 healthy meals for students attending school throughout the year
- Purchase of washing machine and dryer to increase services for aged care and disability clients
- Renovation of Aged Care facility to meet environmental health standards
- Purchase of mattresses and blankets for Aged and Disability clients
- Installation of an air curtain in the Aged Care facility to prevent flies and dust from entering the facility
- Application submitted to purchase Aged Care bus with Central Land Council funding
- Repairs to the football change rooms achievable via Local Authority funds
- Fencing erected around children’s playground
- Major community housing refurbishment providing significant local employment opportunities
- Installation of softball back net
- Purchase of football jerseys and softball uniforms using Local Authority funding
- Housing Management Program engaging local labour and CDP participants commenced
- Cemetery solar lights, notice boards, chairs, shed to stall garden materials, a water bubbler and a shade structure at the front entrance
- Football change room renovated
- Welcome sign erected at entrance of community
- Local art work designs for signs for waste area management
Phone (08) 8956 8720
Fax (08) 8956 8739
News from the region
What is happening
Local community vacancies are often available. Please contact the Council office for more information.