Local Authorities need to be representative of key groups within their area by including people who are committed to attend and participate in meetings for the benefit of residents and community members.
- Are required under legislation with compliance guidelines on their functions
- Receive a meeting allowance (unless a Council staff member)
- Make recommendations to Council about issues in their community
- Are delegated to determine how LA Project money is spent in their community
- Are required to have a minimum of four meetings per year
Nominations for Local Authority members for each community are announced publicly when they become available, Nominations are open for 28 days and are followed by a community election, if required. Please see the Council Service Manager for more information.
Local authority members are required to abide by the Council's code of conduct.