The Council is responsible for a wide range of municipal services to communities within the region. The Council provides:
- Maintenance and Upgrade of Parks, Reserves and Open Spaces
- Management of Cemeteries
- Lighting for Public Safety, including Street Lighting
- Local Road Upgrading and Construction
- Local Road Maintenance
- Traffic Management on Local Roads
- Fleet, Plant and Equipment Maintenance
- Waste Management (including litter reduction)
- Weed Control and Fire Hazard Reduction in and around community areas
- Companion Animal Welfare and Control
- Emergency Recovery
Council adopted the Waste Management Strategy in June 2010. You can read it beolw. The strategy outlines the Council's commitment to:
- Managing waste in a sustainable manner that minimises environmental and social impacts including negative health impacts.
- Providing reliable and effective municipal waste collection services.
- Promoting waste minimisation and optimising resource recovery.
- Actively manage waste landfill sites in accordance with legislative guidelines, local needs and expectations, and Council policies and procedures.
- Maintain a high level of public amenity and minimise negative impacts associated with the management of waste.
- Ensuring that appropriate cost recovery is achieved for collection, management and disposal of waste not associated with municipal services.
- Maintaining an accurate register of decommissioned and rehabilitated waste pits.
Council adopted the Yuendumu Landfill Environmental Management Plan in February 2015. The plan details the actions and procedures to be carried out during the operation and post closure phases of the Yuendumu landfill in order to mitigate any adverse impacts to the environment where practicable. You can read it below.